Task 8 Research
Principal Investigator(s): Zhuping Sheng
In collaboration with Sul Ross State University (Kevin Urbanczyk), Alpine, Texas, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico and Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez, Mexico
We mutually agree for Zhuping Sheng to deliver the following during the period of July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2011 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Continue to strengthen the cooperation between the Rio Grande Basin Initiative program and Sustainable Agricultural Water Conservation program through sharing resources and developing collaborative research programs with Sul Ross Sate University and other state universities on regional water resources.
- Continue to expand the water resources database for the Paso del Norte watershed management by enhancing spatial query functions to meet users' needs, and incorporating new data, especially land uses, crops, water quality data, collected by regional water stakeholders, in collaboration with New Mexico State University and Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez, Mexico.
- Enhance the conceptual model for simulation of the Rio Grande for the reaches between Elephant Butte reservoir and Fort Quitman with emphasis on the interaction of surface water and groundwater.
- Continue to assess scenarios for flood control and water operations planning, and share findings through the Coordinated Water Resources Database and GIS website.
- Continue to integrate hydrological data of selected transboundary aquifers that hydraulically connected with the Rio Grande into the Coordinated Water Resources Database and GIS.
- Assess existing groundwater models and identify data needs for a better characterization of the transboundary aquifers and their interaction with surface water system as well as for upgrade of groundwater model.
- Analyze interaction of water in whole hydrologic cycle: atmospheric (precipitation, evapotranspiration), surface (river, reservoir, irrigation network) and groundwater in the arid region.
- Prepare one technical report and publish one paper.