Task 7 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Bruce Lesikar
We mutually agree for Bruce Lesikar to deliver the following during the period of June 15, 2010 to July 14, 2011 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Teach two short courses at the El Paso and Weslaco Training Centers.
- Cooperate with New Mexico State University on educational programs reaching wastewater practitioners for licensing.
- Evaluate subsurface drip tubing being used to distribute water from alternative sources. The emitters in the tubing will have their flow rate measured. Using the flow rate data, uniformity of distribution will be determined.
- Complete the approval process for the short course titled: "OWTS 310 Spray Distribution" through the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality for use as a training course for wastewater treatment practitioners.
- Complete development of a short course targeting homeowners that wish to maintain their own onsite wastewater treatment system. The short course will discuss reporting issues, safety, operation, maintenance and monitoring requirements.
- Complete development of educational modules to reach clientele through distance education. The general public desires to reuse their wastewater for landscape irrigation. This practice must be implemented in a safe manner. These educational resources will be necessary to reach the audience on a flexible time schedule.
- Develop two electronic presentations describing the "evolution of onsite wastewater management" and "How a septic tank and trench drain field work". These presentations will be developed using powerpoint and camtasia to present the information through a web site.
- Develop a distance delivery course for homeowners interested in maintaining their onsite aerobic treatment system. The course will support the small acreage management program within Texas AgriLife Extension Service.