Task 6 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Diane Boellstorff
We mutually agree for Diane Boellstorff to deliver the following during the period of July 15, 2010 to July 14, 2011 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Provide general educational programs in the Rio Grande Basin dealing with private water wells, wellhead and water quality protection, and appropriate salinity concentrations for irrigation water to avoid damage to plants and soils.
- Conduct private water well screenings in Val Verde County. Fecal coliform, nitrate and salinity concentrations will be determined in wells in this county.
- Water Quality Educational Seminar for citizens of Val Verde County. Provide education to remediate identified concerns of screening.
- Conduct private water well screenings in Edwards and Kinney counties to determine presence of fecal coliform bacteria, nitrate concentration and salinity (TDS) concentration of private water wells in each county.
- Provide educational explanation of corrective measures necessary for identified problems associated with water screening for citizens of Edwards and Kinney counties.
- Provide water quality and aquifer protection information to students through the Kids, Kows, and More program developed and delivered jointly by the Texas AgriLife Extension Service and Southwest Dairy Farmers.
- Conduct private water well screenings in Jim Hogg County. In addition to the fecal coliform, nitrate and salinity screening, arsenic concentrations will be determined in wells in this county. Arsenic will be screened to address concerns related to industrial and agriculture activity around water wells in this area.
- Water Quality Educational Seminar or educational explanation of results of screening for citizens of Jim Hogg County and other counties in the Rio Grande Basin.