Task 5 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Diane Boellstorff
We mutually agree for Diane Boellstorff to deliver the following during the period of July 15, 2010 to July 14, 2011 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Conduct a rainwater harvesting educational program emphasizing efficient utilization of rainfall as a source of landscape irrigation water in Starr County. Maintain demonstration site.
- Conduct a rainwater educational program emphasizing efficient utilization of rainfall as a source of landscape irrigation water for citizens of Edwards and Kinney counties. Design a rainwater catchment system for educational purposes.
- Provide support for the Texas AgriLife Rainwater Harvesting Task Force. Instruct at the Texas Science Teacher Advanced Training for Water on Rainwater Harvesting, Efficient Irrigation, and Water Quality. Also, instruct at the Texas Science Teacher Training on Rainwater Harvesting, Efficient Irrigation and Water Quality.
- Conduct a rainwater harvesting educational program for citizens of Jim Hogg County featuring design and construction of a rain water harvesting capture and storage site in Jim Hogg County.
- Provide support to the Bexar County AgriLife Extension Service by developing and providing an effective rainwater harvesting display at the San Antonio Livestock Exposition.
- Maintain sites demonstrating the benefits of consumptive use of harvested rainfall for wildlife, landscape and other applications.
- Continue to provide rainwater capture and landscape irrigation application educational opportunities for citizens of Webb County by maintaining rain water harvesting capture and storage sites in Webb County.
- Support the Texas AgriLife Rainwater Harvesting Task Force by providing rainwater harvesting educational training assistance. Also, provide input to the Task Force regarding potential alternative capture filtration and treatment techniques, and landscape and in-home uses. Compile data on average water capture and use amounts for each private household and commercial system. Compile the number of systems in use per county and statewide totals of water savings resulting from rainwater harvesting.
- Work with The World Birding Center in Edinburg, Hidalgo County, to design and implement demonstration sites.
- Work with the Texas AgriLife Extension Service and Southwest Dairy's Kids, Kows, and More program for South Texas to provide water conservation and rainwater harvesting educational programs for children in grades 5-8.