Task 1 Research
Principal Investigator(s): Zhuping Sheng
We mutually agree for Zhuping Sheng to deliver the following during the period of July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2011 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Collect atmospheric flux (wind, heat, water, CO2) data, estimate evapotranspiration (ET) from a newly established Eddy covariance tower, and share ET information through the ET network.
- Enhance the monitoring network at selected farms to collect soil moisture data, groundwater level data and water quality data, precipitation and evapotranspiration data to assess impacts of irrigation on the groundwater and adjacent drainage system.
- Expand geophysical survey of soil permeability at selected canal sections under wet condition and compare with survey results under dry conditions.
- Continue to perform additional upstream-downstream flow measurement to determine seepage losses at selected canals and river reaches using the Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler.
- Assess water conservation potential through lining selected irrigation canals and laterals and by improved irrigation scheduling using monitoring network.
- Publish a technical report or one journal paper.