Principal Investigator(s): District 12
We mutually agree for the District 12 counties of Cameron, Dimmit, Hidalgo, Maverick, Starr, Webb, Willacy, and Zapata to deliver the following during the period of July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Within urban, rural, and colonia communities and schools, introduce and demonstrate:
- In-home water conservation techniques and equipment
- Water quality protection and pollution prevention using a variety of workshops, seminars, and hands-on demonstrations.
- Promote and support on-farm water conservation result demonstrations and soil testing
- Develop and deliver education programs on water conservation in sports and athletic fields.
- Train child-care providers on water conservation and water quality protection during multi-county child care provider seminar.
- Conduct educational seminars and on-farm demonstrations to enhance water conservation and reduce risk of off-target losses of fertilizers and pesticides in surface runoff.
- Maintain weather station in support of local demonstration efforts and Texas ET network
- Provide education on composting, water conservation in urban turf.
- Collaborate with local officials, agencies, and businesses to conduct youth water education programs through school enrichment, ag days, and water carnivals.
- Promote organic vegetable production and sales to reduce the risk of water quality degradation.
- Support irrigation conservation education.
- Provide education on crop production BMPs to reduce water quality degradation through seminars and on-farm demonstrations.
- Implement water conservation and water quality educational programs through the local schools.
- Promote and support water conservation ahd water quality protection on-farm demonstrations.
- Introduce and demonstrate rainwater harvesting.
- Conduct educational outreach programs related to in-home water conservation.
- Continue to monitor rainwater harvesting demonstrations and collect data.
- Conduct maintaining range health and cattle production seminars.
- Conduct elementary school water quality/conservation programs.
- Coordinate annual rural water quality screening days for private wells and surface water sources.
- Promote urban and rural water conservation techniques through programs, mass media, and educational Extension booths at the annual Laredo Hokme & Garden Show.
- Distribute water educational flyers and fact sheets at Laredo International Fair and Exposition and other educational events.
- Support multi-county row crop and livestock production seminars and workshops on water conservation and water quality protection.
- Conduct on-farm result demonstrations.
- Water conservation and water quality educational programs for youth at schools and fairs.
- Support water conservation during agricultural production educational events.