Task 7 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Bruce Lesikar
We mutually agree for Bruce Lesikar to deliver the following during the period of July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Teach two short courses at the El Paso and Weslaco Training Centers.
- Cooperate with New Mexico State University partners in the Rio Grande Basin project to teach onsite wastewater treatment system courses to practitioners.
- Evaluate subsurface drip tubing being used to distribute water from alternative sources. The emitters in the tubing will have their flow rate measured. Using the flow rate data, uniformity of distribution will be determined.
- Complete the short course titled: “OWTS 310 Spray Distribution” for approval through the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality for use as a training course for wastewater treatment practitioners. The manual is drafted and will need to pass through the review process.
- Complete development of a short course targeting homeowners that wish to maintain their own onsite wastewater treatment system. The short course will discuss reporting issues, safety, operation, maintenance and monitoring requirements.
- Complete development of educational modules to reach clientele through distance education. The general public desires to reuse their wastewater for landscape irrigation. This practice must be implemented in a safe manner. These educational resources will be necessary to reach the audience on a flexible time schedule.
- Develop an extensive training manual for a sixteen hour training course describing advanced maintenance of onsite wastewater treatment systems for maintenance providers.