Task 3 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Guy Fipps
We mutually agree for Dr. Guy Fipps to deliver the following during the period of July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
Task 3: Institutional Incentives for Efficient Water Use
- In cooperation with the irrigation districts, develop and implement a one-day training program for canal riders which includes procedures of operating gates, farm turnouts and flow measurement devices.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the newly developed RAT (rapid assessment tool) methodology for identifying and prioritizing spill sites. This evaluation will be done using the existing instrumented spill sites as well as by examining spill sites in other districts.
- Develop procedures for analyzing and solving the underlying problems that are causing excess spills in canal systems and incorporate into the canal rider trainin program.
- Continue work on development and implementation of a model database with an irrigation district to include real-time, web-based services.
- In cooperation with the irrigation demonstration initiative, evaluate inter relationship between on-farm and distribution network water management system, and use ArcServer and related tools to develop real-time, interactive tools to support and improve water management and delivery.
- Improve interactive, web-based serves to support telemetry, SCADA and other water management programs and projects with three irrigation districts.
- Offer a 2 day GIS class.
- Publish fact sheets on Selecting Canal Gates, Flow Measurement and Structures, and Understanding SCADA.