Task 1 Research
Principal Investigator(s): Zhuping Sheng
We mutually agree for Zhuping Sheng to deliver the following during the period of July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Expand geophysical survey of soil permeability at selected canal sections under wet condition and compare with survey results under dry conditions. Verify with field and laboratory tests results.
- Perform additional upstream-downstream flow measurement to determine seepage losses at selected canals and river reaches using the Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler.
- Characterize the interaction of surface water and groundwater in the region, analyze its spatial and temporal variations through model simulation and assess improvement of on-farm irrigation efficiency.
- Establish a monitoring network at selected farms to collect soil moisture data, groundwater level data and water quality data, precipitation and evapotranspiration data to assess impacts of irrigation on the groundwater and adjacent drainage system.
- Assess hydrologic cycle in consideration of atmospheric (precipitation, evapotranspiration), surface (river, reservoir, irrigation network) and groundwater in the arid region.