Task 1 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Guy Fipps
We mutually agree for Dr. Guy Fipps to deliver the following during the period of July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010 using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
Task 1: Irrigation District Studies
- Continue to update Rio Grande Basin irrigation district GIS maps and attribute information. Assist district personnel to produce customized maps as requested. Make maps and GIS databases available to irrigation districts, consulting firms and public agencies.
- Respond to requests from individual districts for assistance on completing project applications by analyzing the conditions, water losses and potential water savings and for technical assistance in planning such projects. Outcome: Project reports for districts to use for obtaining funding.
- Continue the existing canal automation and telemetry demonstrations. Develop manuals on operational and management procedures for optimizing water saving benefits. Outcome: Project reports and manuals.
- United Irrigation District
- Hidalgo County Irrigation District No.6
- Cameron County Irrigation District No.6
- Establish a more complex SCADA demonstration project that involves a series of automatic gates in series with an irrigation district.
- Integrate the electrical meter of the main pumping plan of an irrigation district into the telemetry system that includes the water level of the main weir in order to demonstrate the relationship between proper canal water management and electrical use, and the economics of more advance operation and control systems.
- Continued the evaluation of canal lining projects. Expand the evaluation program to other types of district rehabilitation projects.