Principal Investigator(s): West Region
- Help coordinate an outreach conference at El Paso for reporting of project accomplishments to urban and agricultural stakeholders.
- Irrigation efficiency, water quality issues, and crops and/or varieties that utilize water more efficiently in production agriculture will be targeted through educational programming and applied research projects. Uvalde County will participate in the Precision Irrigators Network with six of the surrounding counties. El Paso, Val Verde, Hudspeth, Pecos counties will also conduct programs addressing irrigation efficiency. El Paso County will continue to work on salinity management practices in pecans and other crops, and conduct trials to determine the level of salt resistance in available alfalfa varieties.
- Water conservation and water quality issues in landscapes and turf will be addressed with educational programming in El Paso, Hudspeth, Culberson, Crockett, Reeves and Terrell Counties. Landscape design, native/adapted plant selection, and efficient irrigation techniques will be presented.
- Rainwater harvesting demonstrations and programs will be established/conducted in El Paso, Brewster, Presidio, Pecos, and Reeves Counties. Demonstration gardens will be maintained in El Paso, Crockett, Culberson, Hudspeth, and Ward Counties.
- Soil and water testing programs including well water screening will be conducted in Brewster/Jeff Davis, Presidio, Kinney, Edwards, El Paso and Ward counties.
- Rangeland watershed management will be addressed through demonstrations and educational programs in Edwards, Kinney, Pecos, Presidio, Val Verde and Crockett counties. Pecos River Project information will be presented in Ward, Reeves, Crockett, Crane, Pecos, Terrell, Ward, and Val Verde counties.
- In-Home Water Conservation will be presented through educational programs conducted in Brewster/Jeff Davis, Val Verde, Crockett, El Paso, Pecos and Ward counties.
- Youth water education will include curriculum enrichment programs in the schools (Investigating Water), WaterFest, Junior Master Gardener programs, Youth Water Leadership Institute, and a Youth Natural Resource Field Day which includes watershed management and health. El Paso Pecos, Crockett, Crane, Pecos, Reeves, Terrell and Ward counties are conducting these youth programs. The Annual State Youth Water Camp will be held in Ward County.
- Support to The Upper Rio Grande Water Conservation Corps, an Americorps project for El Paso, Hudspeth and Culberson counties.
- Travel to support educational programs and to attend professional development opportunities.