Task 1 Research
Principal Investigator(s): Zhuping Sheng
- Continue to characterize hydrological properties of different types of soils in the region thrugh field measurements and laboratory tests.
- Perform additional upstream-downstream flow measurement to determine seepage losses at selected canals.
- Expand geophysical survey of soil permeability at selected canal sections under both wet and dry conditions.
- Continue to develop a protocol/an approach for identification of sections of canals with high seepage losses using hydraulic conductivity tests and field infiltration results.
- Establish a monitoring network at selected farms to collect soil moisture data, groundwater level data and water quality data to assess impacts of irrigation on the groundwater and adjacent drainage system.
- Characterize the interaction of surface water and groundwater in the region, and analyze its spatial and temporal variations through model simulation and assess improvement of on-farm irrigation efficiency.