Principal Investigator(s): District 6 and 10 (Ensor)
West Region County Programs
- Irrigation efficiency, water quality issues, and crops and/or varieties that utilize water more efficiently in production agriculture will be targeted through educational programming and applied research projects. Uvalde County will participate in the Precision Irrigators Network along with six of the surrounding counties. El Paso, Hudspeth, and Hudspeth counties will also conduct programs addressing irrigation efficiency. El Paso County will continue to work on salinity management practices in pecans and other crops, and conduct trials to determine the level of salt resistance in available alfalfa varieties.
- Water conservation and water quality issues in landscapes and turfgrass will be addressed in El Paso, Hudspeth, Culberson, Crockett, Loving, & Reeves counties through educational programs. Landscape design and native plant selection along with xeriscape landscapes will be presented.
- Rangeland watershed management will be addressed through demonstrations and educational programs in Edwards, Kinney, Pecos, Presidio, Val Verde, and Crockett counties.
- Rainfall harvesting demonstrations and/or workshops will be conducted in El Paso, Hudspeth, Culberson, Crockett, Brewster, Pecos, Ward, and Crane counties.
- In Home Water Conservation will be presented through educational programs conducted in Uvalde, Val Verde, Crockett, El Paso, Pecos, and Ward counties.
- Youth water education will include curriculum enrichment programs in the schools (Investigating Water), WaterFest, Youth Water Leadership Institute, and a Youth Natural Resource Field Day which includes watershed management and health. El Paso Pecos, Crockett, Crane, Pecos, Reeves, Terrell, and Ward counties are conducting these programs. The Annual State Youth Water Camp is also held in Ward County.
- Support to The Upper Rio Grande Water Conservation Corps, an Americorps project for El Paso, Hudspeth and Culberson counties.
- The Pesticide Education Program will continue in El Paso County in collaboration with El Paso Utilities to help address water quality and environmental issues.
- Soil and water testing programs along with well water screening will be conducted in Brewster, Presidio, Kinney, Edwards, El Paso and Ward counties.
- Travel to support educational programs and to attend professional development opportunities.