Task 8 Research
Principal Investigator(s): Sheng/Srinivasan
Task 8: Basin Wide Hydrology, Salinity Modeling and Technology
- Continue to strengthen the cooperation between the Rio Grande Basin Initiative program and Sustainable Agricultural Water Conservation program through sharing resources and developing collaborative research programs with Sul Ross Sate University and other state universities on regional water resources.
- Compile additional hydrological data (water levels, infiltration rates and/or hydraulic conductivities) for enhancement of groundwater availability models in West Texas in collaboration with Sul Ross State University.
- Continue to expand the water resources database for the Paso del Norte watershed management by enhancing spatial query functions to meet users’ needs, and incorporating new data, especially water quality data, collected by regional water stakeholders, in collaboration with New Mexico State University and Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez, Mexico.
- Assess availability of winter flow and other alternative water sources (graywater, brackish water) for agricultural applications and municipal supplies and their impacts on the hydrological cycle.
- Expand flood control planning model of the Rio Grande for the reaches between Elephant Butte reservoir and Fort Quitman with emphasis on the interaction of surface water and groundwater.