Principal Investigator(s): Districts 6 and 10 (Ensor)
We mutually agree for Districts 6 and 10 to deliver the following during the period of June 1, 2006 to May 31, 2007, using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Educational programming and applied research projects will
target irrigation efficiency, water quality issues, and crops
and/or varieties that utilize water more efficiently in production
- Uvalde County will participate in the Precision Irrigators Network with six surrounding counties.
- El Paso County will continue to work on salinity management practices in pecans and other crops, and conduct trials to determine the level of salt resistance in available alfalfa varieties.
- Water conservation and water quality issues in landscapes and turfgrass will be addressed in El Paso, Hudspeth, Culberson and Reeves counties through educational programs including the SAFE program. Landscape design and native plant selection along with xeriscape landscapes will be presented. A Xeriscape demonstration garden will be established in El Paso County.
- Soil and water testing programs along with well water screening will be conducted in Brewster, Presidio, Kinney, Edwards and Ward counties.
- Rangeland watershed management will be addressed through demonstrations and educational programs in Edwards, Kinney, Pecos, Presidio, Val Verde and Crockett counties. Pecos River Project information will be presented in Ward, Reeves, Crockett, Crane and Val Verde counties.
- Rainfall harvesting demonstrations and seminars will be conducted in El Paso, Hudspeth, Culberson, Crockett, Brewster, Pecos, Ward and Crane counties.
- In-home water conservation will be presented through educational programs conducted in Val Verde, Crockett, El Paso, Pecos and Ward counties.
- Youth water education will include curriculum enrichment
programs in the schools (Investigating Water), WaterFest, Youth
Water Leadership Institute and a Youth Natural Resource Field Day
which includes watershed management and health.
- El Paso, Pecos, Terrell and Ward counties are conducting these programs. The State Youth Water Camp is also held in Ward County.
- The Pesticide Education Program will continue in El Paso County in collaboration with El Paso Utilities to help address water quality and environmental stewardship issues in the area.