Task 8 Research
Principal Investigator(s): Zhuping Sheng, Raghavan Srinivasan
We mutually agree for Zhuping Sheng to deliver the following during the period of July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2007, using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Continue to strengthen the cooperation between the Rio Grande Basin Initiative program and Sustainable Agricultural Water Conservation program through sharing resources and developing collaborative research programs with Sul Ross Sate University and other state universities on regional water resources.
- Compile additional hydrological data (water levels, infiltration rates and/or hydraulic conductivities) for enhancement of groundwater availability models in West Texas in collaboration with Sul Ross State University.
- Continue to expand the water resources database for the Paso del Norte watershed management by enhancing spatial query functions to meet users' needs, and incorporating new data, especially water quality data, collected by regional water stakeholders, in collaboration with New Mexico State University and Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez, Mexico.
- Expand flood control planning model of the Rio Grande for the reaches between Elephant Butte reservoir and El Paso with emphasis on the interaction of surface water and groundwater, and share modeling information for different management and planning alternatives through the Coordinated Water Resources Database and GIS Web site.
- Prepare one technical report and publish one paper.