Task 6 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Mark L. McFarland
We mutually agree for Mark McFarland to deliver the following during the period of June 1, 2006 to May 31, 2007, using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Demonstrate increased adoption of soil testing as a water quality protection best management practice in the Rio Grande River Basin.
- Quantify the number of acres being managed utilizing a nutrient management plan based on soil testing.
- Quantify the reduction in nutrient loading (specifically N and P) to surface water and groundwater systems based on effective nutrient management planning.
- Coordinate efforts between the Arroyo Colorado Project and with the ProAG Project for implementation of the newly developed watershed management plan.
- Prepare and disseminate two new publications targeting agricultural BMPs to protect water quality.
- Prepare a summary impact report defining nutrient loading reductions and potential economic savings for distribution and for use in the development of news releases and popular articles to educate and further encourage agricultural producers to adopt nutrient best management practices.