Task 6 Research
Principal Investigator(s): M. Keith Owens
We mutually agree for Keith Owens to deliver the following during the period of July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2007, using funds from the Rio Grande Basin Initiative:
- Hourly estimates of sap flux from saltcedar trees on the Pecos River near Mentone, Texas, and from the Pecos River near Iraan, Texas from early spring through leaf fall.
- Water-use estimates, combining the sap flux estimates from above and the sapwood area of mature trees, on an hourly basis from both sites over a 2 year period.
- A partitioning of saltcedar transpiration from the evapotranspiration water loss from the Mentone site. The ET estimates will be derived by Charlie Hart as part of his project and we will cooperate to accomplish this task.
- Detailed measurements of stomatal closure and diurnal transpiration to estimate nighttime transpiration loss - a critical assumption in most models.
- A peer-reviewed manuscript, submitted to a leading ecological journal, on saltcedar morphology, physiology and ecology.
- A summary article for a non-technical audience on the maximum potential water-use by saltcedar given its morphology and ecology.
- At least one presentation at a professional meeting on the ecology and physiology of saltcedar trees.