Task 1 Research
Principal Investigator(s): Zhuping Sheng
- Collect soil samples at specified sites along the selected canals.
- Conduct analysis of particle size distribution of collected samples.
- Perform laboratory permeability test to determine hydraulic conductivities of soil samples collected.
- Conduct infiltration tests in the field at the specified sites along the selected canal to determine spatial variation of seepage losses.
- Compare field infiltration test results with laboratory permeability test results to develop a relationship between them.
- Develop a protocol/an approach for identification of sections of canals with high seepage losses using hydraulic conductivity test and field infiltration results.
- Incorporate new data collected into the numerical models to assess water conservation strategies by lining selected sections of canals and laterals. Analyze mechanisms of surface water and groundwater interaction under different management scenarios.
- Continue joint efforts with New Mexico State University, as well as Kevin Urbanczyk's project at Sul Ross State University.
- Prepare a technical report and publish 1 or 2 papers.