Task 8 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Mark McFarland, Tom Gerik, Monty Dozier
- Develop and conduct CroPMan water balance validation demonstrations on furrow and drip irrigation systems on the Loop Farm in Cameron County.
- Develop and conduct CroPMan testing demonstrations on three sites to manage water use in Hidalgo, Cameron and Starr Counties.
- Provide crop water use data and weather data to CEA-Ag/NR in Cameron, Hidalgo, and Starr Counties.
- Conduct two educational events related to use of CroPMan to manage water use and salinity in crop production systems of the Rio Grande Valley.
- Develop and publish a newsletter on year 1 results of CropMan demonstrations for distribution to Cameron, Hidalgo, and Starr Counties.
- Participate in Task 8 Listserv and technical workgroup to coordinate efforts between Texas and New Mexico members.
- Interface with appropriate members of Task III and Task IV on testing and use of CroPMan to explore on farm crop and irrigation efficiencies.
- Demonstrate a potential per crop growing season savings of 20% of average allocated irrigation through use of CroPMan water management decision making.