Task 6 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Mark McFarland
- Work with CEAs in the 4 dominant agricultural crop production counties within the project area to enhance the use of soil testing as a Best Management Practice to improve production economics and increase water use efficiency.
- Conduct soil testing campaigns targeting the primary irrigated crops in the region. Demonstrate and quantify nutrient loading reductions, particularly of nonpoint source nutrient pollutants such as nitrogen and phosphorus, and the economic impacts of effective nutrient management.
- Conduct field studies to evaluate and demonstrate strategies that promote the efficient use of nutrients and increase water use efficiency by crops. Utilize field data in conjunction with model projections to estimate percentage increases in water use efficiency achieved by proper nutrient management.
- Increase the use of soil testing by agricultural producers by 30%.
- Reduce nutrient loading on over 30,000 acres by 25%.
- Increase water efficiency on over 30,000 acres by up to 10%.