Task 1 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): Guy Fipps
- Complete an estimate of the static push water requirements in the LRGV.
Update and modify as needed the GIS-linked databases and maps of districts to support evaluation of proposed infrastructure projects, methods for improved irrigation district distribution system management, and regional water planning. These include maps and, with district cooperation, basic attributes (i.e. canal width, pipeline diameter, material) of:
- entire distribution networks for all LRGV districts
- entire distribution networks for Maverick, Hudspeth, and El Paso Districts.
- Make maps and GIS databases available to irrigation districts, consulting firms and public agencies.
In cooperation with at least one irrigation district (most likely, the United Irrigation District), demonstrate procedures for conducting a total district evaluation including:
- rating for all canals in district
- analysis of the head situation
- rating of distribution network gates and other water control structures.
Analyze current conditions and infrastructure needs of individual districts as requested and needed to complete project applications. Use this analysis for developing recommended procedures:
- conduct seepage loss rate tests with Brownville, United and Donna Irrigation District, and other districts as needed.
- determine capacity of new laterals and turnouts to maximize head and improve farm irrigation as requested by districts based on model developed with San Benito in year two of project.
Expand and finalize how-to guides (i.e., recommended procedures and guidelines) based on field test results for estimating and/or determining water savings of proposed rehab projects:
- seepage loss testing and analysis
- design of new farm outlets