Task 4 Extension
Principal Investigator(s): William J. Thompson
Conduct the collection of historical date necessary to calculate estimates of water use efficiency for key crops in order to provide a summary report to TWRI about in 2003:
- Calculate an effective measure of water use efficiency for pecans in Culberson, Hudspeth, and Pecos counties.
- Calculate an effective measure of water use efficiency for cantaloupes and watermelons in Pecos and Presidio counties.
- Calculate an effective measure of water use efficiency for alfalfa in Culberson, El Paso, Hudspeth, Pecos, and Presidio Counties.
- Create current crop enterprise budgets for irrigate pecans, cantaloupes/watermelons and alfalfa.
- Utilizing these crop enterprise budgets, analyze the effect of water use efficiency of breakdown costs or on the profitability for each studied crop and irrigation method.
- Adapt and provide at least one extension publication on the economic or management decisions facing irrigated producers in the far west Texas, and make available current enterprise crop budgets for irrigated pecans, cantaloupes and watermelons, and alfalfa.
- Participate as part of RGBI economic team coordinating efforts with Dr. Ron Lacewell, Dr. Ed Rister, Dr. Ari Michelson, and Dr. John Robinson and New Mexico counterparts.