Task 3 Research
Principal Investigator(s): Ari Michelsen
- Through TWRI, develop an El Paso County Water Improvement District #1 guide book on water right ownership, allocation, measurement and water delivery operating rules within the irrigation district.
- Develop an Elephant Butte Irrigation District guide book on district water allocation, measurement and water delivery operating rules within the irrigation district.
- Develop TWRI reports characterizing producer water applications by crop, adoption of irrigation efficiency measures in times of full allocation, and plans and incentives to adopt irrigation efficiency measures during drought.
- Develop a TWRI-NMSU report identifying major federal, state, irrigation district and producer institutional arrangements, economic conditions and policies that provide water conservation incentives and disincentives under the Rio Grande Project.
- Coordinate meetings and/or workshops with district managers to review incentives and discuss alternative opportunities that bring incentives for individuals to implement water conserving technologies and management strategies. Informational meetings will also be coordinated with the Paso del Norte Water Task Force on the status and activities of irrigation districts and urban water providers in Texas, New Mexico and Mexico to deliver and use water efficiently, while retaining vested interests.